Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Thanks Daddy

My first memory of Big Daddy was at the Eastern Open at Bull Run Park in the early 1990's. I was probably 13 years old or so, and Ronnie had just gotten me started playing frisbee within the last year. I was so new that Moser out threw me in distance using a mini, just to humiliate me. A moment I remember to this day was Big Daddy doing a freestyle routine there with Jen to the song, "I Am The Walrus," while wearing a triangular hamburger hat. It was hilarious. At the beginning of the routine someone exclaimed, "Let's flip some burgers!" and they proceeded to flip over all of these frisbees pretending they were hamburgers. Man did that silly routine and fun-loving spirit really make an impression on me. I don't think I have ever done a normal freestyle routine since that moment, and probably wouldn't be dressing up as Santa Clause or the Easter Bunny at VA States 17 years later either if it weren't for their routine. Through the years Daddy always had a helpful hint or a reassuring word whenever I needed one, and he always did it with a big grin on his face. He just had a way of making things better. I will do my best to carry on that fun-loving, thoughtful spirit Daddy displayed so often. Thanks Daddy.

No comments:

Post a Comment